Our Commitment to You
We are committed to protecting your personal information, in accordance with our responsibilities to meet the terms of privacy laws, including the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, Ontario (MFIPPA).
What Is Personal Information?
Personal information is information about an identified or identifiable individual. Personal information may include such information as your name, email address, mailing address and other information about you collected through correspondence, electronically, in person, or by telephone.
Personal information does not include the name, title, business address or telephone number of an employee of an organization. Personal information does not include information that has been aggregated such that an individual’s information cannot be identified.
10 Principles for Protection of Your Personal Information
The collection of personal information on EnergizingOurFuture.ca must meet the requirements outlined in MFIPPA. Under the Act, guidelines for the collection, safeguarding and sharing of information is both limited and specific.
The protection of personal information is aligned to the 10 fair principles outlined in Canadian Standards Association (CSA):
We are accountable for all Personal Information in our possession or under our control, including all Personal Information transferred to a third party who may perform services on our behalf.
EnergizingOurFuture, C/O 1500 Bishop Street, P.O. Box 1060, Cambridge ON N1R 5X6
Attention: Chief Privacy Officer. Email: Privacy Office Telephone: 519-621-3530 Ext 2440
The reason(s) for collecting Personal Information shall be identified before or at the time of collection. Unless required by law, the information collected shall not be used or disclosed for any new purpose.
Personal Information collected on EnergizingOurFuture.ca, is collected for the following purpose(s):
- To provide stakeholders with information about the Merger Exploration;
- To identify what is important to the stakeholders in the communities impacted by a potential Merger;
- To engage the members of the stakeholder communities to provide questions and provide feedback on the Merger Exploration;
- To meet legal and regulatory requirements.
- In obtaining consent, reasonable efforts are made to ensure that individuals are advised of the identified purposes for which the Personal Information will be used or disclosed. Purposes shall be stated in a manner that can be reasonably understood by the individual providing the information.
- In general, the use of the website by an individual constitutes implied consent to collect, use and disclose Personal Information for all identified purposes.
- Collection of personal information shall be limited to that which is necessary for the purposes identified.
Limited Use, Disclosure and Retention
- Personal information shall not be used or disclosed for purposes, other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual.
- Only those individuals who require access for business reasons, or whose duties reasonably so require, are granted access to Personal Information collected.
- Personal information shall be retained in accordance with legislative requirements and/or for as long as necessary for the fulfilment of the original purposes. Personal information that is no longer required to fulfil the identified purposes shall be destroyed, erased or made anonymous.
- Personal information shall be as accurate, complete and current as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used.
- Personal information collected is protected by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information. Security safeguards shall protect Personal information against loss or theft, unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use, modification or destruction.
- This policy has been written to be easy to understand, access and update when required.
- MFIPPA provides individuals with the right to request information regarding the type, use and disclosure of personal information on file and for corrections to that information as necessary.
- Access requests will be responded to within a reasonable time (30 days).
- Attention: Chief Privacy Officer Email: Privacy Office Telephone: 519-621-3530 Ext 2440
- Every effort will be made to respond within 30 days. In cases where the request is made under MFIPPA and responding to the request may result in a significant effort, the requester will be contacted to discuss the costs in advance.
- If an individual is not satisfied with the response to their submission, they can elevate their issue to the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario, as a final mechanism for resolution.